Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I feel like I should also mention

this moment I had in Boston where I realized I might have crossed the line to becoming Southern. I visited Boston for like 20 hours while I was home and rode on the T (subway) once. No one in the car was talking! It was completely silent. The Southerner in me wanted to strike up a conversation with the person next to me.

Also, I wanted to recommend a couple of books I'm reading. I'm a little more than half way through The Red Tent and it's awesome. I know a lot of people loved it when it came out about 6 years ago but I always assumed it would be cheesy. It is a little but mostly it's great. The book is very much written with women in mind, but I would hope that men could get something out of it too.

Secondly, I'm trying to read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. If you don't know Dawkins, he's an evolutionary theorist whose most famous books are The Selfish Gene and The Blind Watchmaker. He's also a hardcore atheist. He says at the beginning of Delusion that his goal is to convert believers to atheists by the end of the book. He's very angry which is the part I don't get. Like he's sort of doing the same thing he accuses Christian and Muslim extremists of doing which is blindly accepting an ideology without reading about the alternatives. He blames alot of bad things on religion like 9/11, the Holocaust, the Crusades without mentioning the good things which happen every day. Anyway, I'd be curious what some of you have to say. I should say too that it gives me great joy to pray for Richard Dawkins every night before I go to bed. And then I giggle a little bit knowing how angry that must make him.

I think I'll keep an update here of the ridiculous things he says since I can't really write to him.

No comments: