Sunday, December 31, 2006

Why I hate New Year's, specifically this one.

Here is what was supposed to happen today or yesterday really. Fly from Newark to Atlanta then Atlanta to Gulfport in plenty of time to rest up before a chill New Year's with roomies, etc.

Now if you've ever talked to me about this wretched holiday, you know I'm not a fan. I feel like there is always too much pressure to have some mind blowing amazing time for a day that is completely arbitrary. I mean New Year's could be celebrated at any time. Still, I was looking forward to this one because it seemed relatively low pressure.

So here's what actually happened today. My flight that was supposed to leave Newark at 2:11 didn't leave until after 3. This worried me since I only had 40 minutes to change planes in Atlanta. I hoped that we would gain time in the air or that my second flight would be delayed as well since there was tons of rain in the south today. Of course this was not the case.

I got to Atlanta and found out that not only had I missed my flight but there were no more possibilities until tomorrow. Then I had to find a hotel. Contrary to popular belief, AirTran did not offer to pay for my room they only offer a number to call for very reduced rates. For a moment I got a little excited thinking I could get a room in downtown Atl. since I've never been here, but of course the only rooms are on the outskirts of town close to the airport.

So after waiting in the rain for 25 minutes I got on a shuttle to the DoubleTree. My spirits were briefly lifted again by all the jovial airline people on my shuttle. I thought maybe they would invite me to hang out with them- sadly not the case as they stick to their own little airline club and I don't know the secret handshake. Ah well, at least there's the lounge at the hotel right?

No. Nothing at the hotel was open tonight so I got pizza delivered. Things have started breaking down here though. I don't know if I got a "reduced" rate room but I don't have movies when it says I should, the phone just beeps at me so I can't call the front desk, the coffee maker is on the fritz, the toilet is backing up and the ice machine down the hall isn't working either. Aside from that it's quite comfortable.

Furthermore, I made the quick decision at the airport to leave my bags there so now I'm in dirty clothes and missing some essential toiletries.

Despite all this, I'm trying not to get down. I know some people in the hospital tonight or who are working which are much worse situations than mine.

On a lighter note, I promised a BBQ blog. Two weeks ago we stopped at a place called Dick Russell's (I think). Very kitchy with animal heads and stuff on the walls. I've been trying to publish pictures on here but for some reason (because nothing works here) they're not coming up or they'll end up ten times. Anyway, we had a huge plate of butter given to us there, about 8 little cups full. Before we had dug into it, the waitress asked us if we needed more. We said we were all set. Then she asked if we needed more BBQ sauce. Normally this is an automatic yes for me but since I could barely find my pork in the sauce I said I was all set with that too. Hmmm...I wonder how MS got to be the most overweight state?

Overall, not great. I'm looking for more authentic less processed BBQ while I'm here in the South.

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you had more fun than me.



No comments: