Friday, December 15, 2006

Moonshine Bust in Hancock County

This was the headline of the local paper two days ago. You'll be happy to know I live in Harrison county, the next county over- much classier. Apparently this guy was distilling whiskey in his backyard at like 90 proof or something crazy like that.

Anyway, I have been SUPER busy this week. Last weekend I helped out at Westminster Presbyterian Church with their youth group. WPC is much bigger and much more active than Handsboro than where I've been living and I've been helping out a little when I can. They did a youth led service this weekend which was interesting for me. I think it was an early glimpse of what the life of a pastor can be like because I didn't really feel like I got to worship since I knew what was coming and was intent on things running right. Hmm...

On Sunday I went to my first African-American Baptist service. It was a music special and I went to see one of the kids in Andy's Club. For those who don't understand why this would be such a big deal to me, there is generally no clapping in a traditional presbyterian service nor is there a lot of emotion. I wasn't really uncomfortable though but I started to understand why if that's where you come from, a Presbyterian service could be just as awkward feeling. For me it was great fun though!

We sadly lost one of our team mates this week. My co-worker D left his post at Orange Grove on Monday. We're all praying that this will be the right decision for him and that he'll be able to work out whatever he needs to. For those of you on the outside, there's no easy way to explain how subtely draining this work is to all of us and so if you're at all dealing with anything else it can be really hard.

Yesterday was the most chaotic holiday kids party ever. We had ribs and shrimp and running around. It was awesome and there was new kids but I'm exhausted today.

In ordination news, I'm beginning to understand the hoops of fire I must jump through to become a pastor. I have an interview with session when I come home and another with the Presbytery later in the year. Can you feel my anxiety?

Ok I need to run, I want to write more but no time. Send me love and Christmas cards!

No comments: