Sunday, November 19, 2006

Success

One time I was asked by a pledge class of my fraternity, Zeta Phi Eta, how I defined success. I believe my answer to be one of the most brilliant things i've ever said. "Success," I said, "is when the child you were at 10 can look at the adult you've become and be proud of that person."

I've been thinking about that a lot because I'm not sure what my 10-year-old self would have to say to my adult self. There might be some disappointment that I am not starring on Broadway and living with a fabulous director in a penthouse on the upper west side. Would my 10-year old self settle for community theatre in Mississippi where Annie is considered one of the greatest dramatic achievements of the 20th century? I don't know. Yet, I would hope that that dreamer in me would find some romance in moving so far from home to save the world through theatre.

All of this comes on the heels of what my adult self considers to be a very successful evening with Andy's Club. We took them on a field trip Friday night to see Annie Jr. at the Gulfport Little Theatre where I've been doing Guys and Dolls. The show was crap as usual (if you know me well, you know I have beef with that show in particular), although the performers were great for kids. The shocker was how great my kids were and how much they loved the experience. While monsters behind us kicked the seats and yelled obnoxious questions, mine sat quietly, only asking questions during the blackouts. A couple of them might audition for the next show they do there, perhaps causing me to become a pseudo stage mom. It was a really great night, one that makes you feel like God in her majesty has made everything come together just right for you.

I have some time off from Andy's Club this week since the kids don't have school. In general its going to be quiet around here. Two of my roommates have gone home along with our bosses and there are no weekly volunteers this week. I plan on being in my pjs most of the time. And although I'll miss my family on Thanksgiving, one thing I'm learning is when you don't have a family on a holiday you get tons of invitations! So far I'm having two dinners- one at 1 and another at 4:30. Maybe it won't be so bad to be away from home!

Love and blessings!

No comments: