Sunday, October 08, 2006

This was a really great weekend. Chock full of good times. On Friday night we watched a Gulfport High game where they beat the other team 48 to nothing. You have to love high school football for that kind of score, although the Bears basically did the same thing today. Then we had some late night beach time which was also great, although due to some wrestling, I have a sand-burn mark on my neck that looks very much like a hickie. Definitely an uncomfortable thing to be sporting when you live and work in a church.

Saturday, I went to the Baptist church (one of the millions) to have my car washed by the youth group there. I think I may have made a contact, their leaders seemed interested in having their kids volunteer for the after-school program. But then I looked super shady because I forgot my wallet and had to walk back to the church to get some cash for a donation. Oh well, I think they trusted me. I also went to a marching band competition which made me nostalgic for high school, but so glad to be done with and far away from that part of my life.

I began to feel, speaking of feelings, really homesick for Boston. First, during an amazing nap, I had a dream that I was walking around Boston in the morning, there was perfect autumn weather, and then I randomly bumped into my Zeta buddy, Bethany and we went out for Breakfast. Secondly, we saw the movie The Departed last night (sooooo good by the way) which was filmed in Boston, really close to places I used to live. Finally, we went to a sports bar this afternoon to watch the Skins/Giants game (my roommate is a huge skins fan) and the Pats game was on as well. It seemed like all the commentators had to say was what a nice day it was in Foxboro. Of course I move away and there is finally a nice day there.

On a side note, could Shockey be more embarrassing for New York? He's so gross and unpleasant looking.

A funny thing happened on our way back in from the movie on Saturday night. I think we were probably rolling in around 11:30 or midnight and we bumped into Pastor Scott, my boss in some ways, still working on his sermon for the following morning. At that point I headed upstairs and began making the visitor information cards I had promised to make, but due to some technology difficulties as well as lots of procrastination, I hadn't done it yet. In essence, it was perhaps a sign of things to come- I think Saturdays may turn into typical all nighters in my future career.

I delivered my first children's sermon today on the woman that touches Jesus's robe in the crowd and is healed instantly. I think it went well, but I'm not sure how engaged the kids were. I asked them some questions and they didn't really answer. I guess they could be shy too, and I am pretty tall and scary. Later tonight, one of the volunteers staying here told me he thought I had a gift- that it was a great children's sermon. I think this was really important for me to hear as I am constantly discerning how much what I am doing is for myself and how much it is to meet a deep need and fulfill God's purpose for me.

Ok tough theological question of the day- feel free to stop reading. Is the purpose of those disenfranchised in society to convey God to the world? In other words, are they almost a sacrifice so that we may see Her working (yes I'm trying to switch to Her as a pronoun for God as I'm learning that proper translations would have God be an It rather than a gender specific pronoun, yet It sounds cold so I choose Her to combat thousands of years of making God a man)? If there were no bad things happening to good people, would human beings need God? Would we simply praise without prayers of petition? But if there were only good and happiness we wouldn't know an alternative and therefore not know to be thankful for what we had. It reminds me of when my gender prof. said that if feminists got what we wanted, we would cease to exist, which is a scary thought for those of us who feel that is part of our life's calling. Therefore, I think there is comfort for those who are faithful in bad things happening to them. Without those events, there would be no room for the grace and mercy of God. While I certainly don't think this idea has enough magnitude to cover genocide or millions of babies starving or dying of AIDS, I do selfishly think that without Katrina, I would be lost in alot of ways. The loss of others has led to my fulfillment. But how do I tell them that and make them realize what a gift that can be?

Thanks for all the support thus far. Keep the letters and e-mails coming!

No comments: