Friday, October 27, 2006

In my quest to be more Christ-like, I accept that Jesus would not desire to punch a volunteer in the face.

Yesterday was a complete emotional roller-coaster all the way around. I had a really great, focused meeting with Pastor Scott here and as a result I'm going to start putting together some resources for the homeless folks that come through here (yes, I've started using the word "folks"). Then we got lots of phone interest in Andy's Club. I guess the flyers are being distributed finally at schools. Of the 3 parents calling for information, 1 followed through and signed her two daughters up! So our count right now stands at 5 with the potential for more if the other parents sign their kids up next week. Yay!

I got really emotional though randomly in the middle of the day. Owen's memorial service at the hospital was Wednesday night and I'm always upset when I can't go. He helps me to keep things in perspective. When I remember how hard he fought to live, I know I can fight to just work and make this a functioning situation. I've actually been writing this post in two sections. The second, now, coming after a 3 and a half hour meeting with all of our leadership about what we can do to make things really work here. So there are a lot of emotions on top of personal baggage and blech, now I'm just rambling and digressing.

Why did I almost punch a volunteer you might be asking? Because he was all up in my biznass and wouldn't give me 5 minutes to just print a stinkin' calendar. When I informed him I needed the computer for my JOB and it would just be literally 5 minutes if he would just stop questioning and judging my actions and let me do it, he said that, well, he really needed it because he was leaving for LA and he was the only one who could do what he was doing, which I guess was fixing all the network issues. I cannot handle people who feel their work is more important than anyone else's, especially volunteers who yes are here to help but should not be getting in the way! Ugh. It was intense.

Riding the roller coaster back up, I got a part in Guys and Dolls! Not the part I wanted most, but still exciting. I guess I'm just chorus but the director made it seem more glamorous. I cannot wait to get out of the church and have another community to be involved in. I haven't done a musical in a while, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Finally, I spent some of today looking for valuable Thanksgiving activities that aren't a hand turkey or some ridiculous Native American holding corn collage. But apparently there aren't any. The same Thanksgiving myth is on every web page, not including the fact that if we're being honest, smallpox blankets should be included in our construction paper cornucopias. I guess I will just do something that will really focus on what are we Thankful for and how things are different for these kids this year.

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Erin said...

So proud of you, B!