Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Turning the Page: Reflections on Montreat

Sometimes there are moments in life that catch you completely off guard. These may be awful- car accidents, illness, breakups- or wonderful- winning the lottery, seeing your favorite movie in a marathon on TBS, or falling in love. Last week definitely fell into the latter category.

Two weeks ago, I was ready to go home. Why don’t I go home and give myself a break, I thought. Things are pretty much wrapped up. I resolved to stay mostly because of a promise I had made to chaperone a youth conference in Montreat. Granted, I was greatly looking forward to it but not for any of the right reasons. I thought it would be a great networking opportunity, time to relax in the mountains of North Carolina, and maybe a chance to pass on my vast experience with life and faith to some young, naïve high schoolers.

I guess the week was all these things but it held so much more than I expected as well. For instance, in understanding and reflecting on the theme of the week, “Turning the Page”, I was able to come to some closure about leaving the Coast. My story here is done and I need to leave to make room for others to finish the stories I’ve started here.

I also was able to see our denomination working and operating in a healthy way. Since I’ve been here, I’ve seen power and politics corrupt the Presbytery of Mississippi, Handsboro Presbyterian Church and the Gulf Coast Mission/Young Adult Volunteer program. Because it seems like no one is listening to residents on the Coast as they cry out to our government, those frustrations have been turned inward. Until I got away, I don’t think I was able to accurately see how this chaos has affected me. I have become angry, cynical and judgmental, to the point where I was criticizing the projection people at Montreat for writing breathe not breath in one of the song’s lyrics. Yes, I realized, it’s time to step back and take a breathe.

This is certainly not to say the year has been bad for me. It has been amazing, affirming and life-giving, but the effects of disaster work are real and deep and it is certainly not work that can be sustained forever.

Equally amazing, were the relationships I created with some of the kids in my group. Some of the highlights:
- Dancing our butts off for morning warm-ups
- Good, long, intense talks
- Climbing a mountain
- Pirate Tattoos (shout out to Blue Beard, Scurv, and Gimpy)
- Shaving Cream Wars
- Rock Hopping
- Chicken Pot Pie and a Coke
- The Mellon, The Limo, The Microwave, The Toaster, The 1491, The Pineapple, The Tuxedo, The Podiatrist (please ask for demonstrations the next time you see me)
- “Red Banding” while cracking up at the same time
- Car games
- Egyptian Rat Screw
- Creepy, Awkward, Collar Pull
- Bears in elevators

I don’t know if those kids will read this, but if they do- Thanks Guys. I had a blast and my tummy still hurts from laughing. Hopefully I gave you even half of what you gave me.

So, yes, life is full of surprises. I feel much better equipped to handle my leaving now and way more affirmed in my desires for/gifts in youth ministry. Thanks too, to First Church Boonton for making it happen.

I'll leave you know with a game Linda and I came up with after leaving a baby shower for our friend, Sarah this Sunday. The game is called, "If I was 9 months pregnant in the Mississippi summer heat, what would I be doing?" Our answers so far include: sitting in a kiddie pool filled with ice in my underwear, movie hopping at the theater for the free air conditioning in my underwear, and laying on my bed in my underwear having my husband fan me with large palm branches. Any other suggestions?

No comments: