Thursday, June 28, 2007

And this bird you cannot change



Well this will probably be my last post from Mississippi. This year has come to an end. I've started the very sad goodbye process- first with the kids at the after-school program, then the kids in the youth group, and then with some roommates who won't be here when I leave.



This is tough.



I just reread my first blog which included a first impression of "pros" and "cons" of the area. Not much has changed- it's still wonderfully hot, the locals are still amazing (although still nosy), and I can't get enough jambalaya. Yet all that would be fine to leave behind if I could just take my friends and experiences with me. I'm struggling with the realization that my roommates, my fellow volunteers, the Teels, The Castlemans,Karen and Sean, Martha-Lee, all the kids at Andy's Club, Miss Ashley, all the kids at GLT, Mo, and even the congregation at Handsboro are not coming with me. And while I've done this enough to know that those holes will be filled by equally wonderful people, it still hurts every time.



I strongly believe in a transient ministry as modeled by Christ. However Christ brought his family (the disciples) with him and didn't seem to develop deep relationships with locals of the various areas. He offers no advice on what to do when those you've come to help have helped you and restored you more than you ever imagined possible.

I begin to understand why people spend years of their ministry in solitude on a hill in Europe somewhere.





I have been spending this week with First Church Boonton as they've been doing their mission week at Long Beach. There has been a much needed peace bestowed on this week by their being here, and certainly not because it's been a particularly smooth week for them. It has, however, been a good reminder for me of what I came from and what I'm returning to. I have also been able to see, through their work, the ripple effect our presence has had this year. Without my time here, they wouldn't have been able to help the family they've been working with this week.

I don't know, I wish I had really elegant, profound things to say. My life has been change completely and mostly for the better. I think mostly I've learned over and over that we have no control over anything and the best we can do is just love one another and have faith that somebody up there's looking out for us.

I want to thank everyone that's reading for their support and encouragement this year. It's meant so much to me. Please look for my first blog installment from Princeton coming next week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brenna, it's been very interesting to read about your adventures, both the fun times and the sad or depressing things you've seen. The people there are very lucky to have known you and I'm sure are thankful for your service. I look forward to reading about Princeton!! See you soon!! (Lake George, right?)

Linda said...

i love you. and i will miss you more than you know!