Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Feels like home to me

I've had a busy few days. Friday was moving day. As expected, I was at my crankiest. I don't know why, but moving always brings out the worst in me. Luckily things went pretty smoothly that day. It didn't take too many trips and we had alot of help. Our coordinators made sure everything was ready to go, Sally-Lodge quietly walked around and hung our shades and set up lamps and Rebecca, the pastor's wife, (although I hate that term because she is my friend and is her own person) had dinner ready for us, a delicious chicken pot-pie which I've had before and was hoping she would make again.

Saturday was a bit rougher. We had some miscommunication and misinformation about cleaning and how soon the volunteers would be moving into our former rooms, which was apparrently about 5 minutes after we left. So then we ran to the church to try to clean AROUND the very needy volunteers.

That night I went to see one of the kids I've been working with at Gulfport Little Theater in a show at another venue. Well I had yet another North-Eastern anxiety attack. I got there at 6:15 for a 7pm show. The family in front of me got the last tickets which was briefly disappointing until they said they might release more seats closer to the start of the show. Great, I thought, I'll be the first on the list- only there was no list. I just had to hover for 45 minutes telling everyone that came by that I was the first one after the people who got the last tickets, and internally berating myself for not getting tickets ahead of time. I did eventually get in, but I was not a pleasant person by that time. The kid I went to see was really great, definitely the best in the show. I was also adament to support him because his dad had died quite suddenly the week before and I wanted him to feel comfortable performing. He's really great and quickly turning into one of my favorite kids.

On Sunday, I performed (this is probably not the right word) the Call to Worship at both the Orange Grove and Handsboro services. I think it went well. I was surprised at how well I put on a different face to preach. I also felt good about what I wrote and that it was defintely from me. The children's sermon at Handsboro was a little rougher but there were brownies so I think the kids were happy.

The only tragedy in this day was that I spilled coffee on myself in between services, so I had to go home and change really quick. I felt like Cher needing to have a different costume for the second service. I am ridiculous and I think God is telling me to curb my caffeine addiction.

We watched the SuperBowl outside at another nearby church. It was a little cold, but I staked out a seat early on next to the fire. I was sad to see the Bears lose, but enjoyed the commercials overall.

In general, I'm loving the new place. I've managed to have some relaxing naps and be able to have my coffee in the morning in peace and quiet.

Also, today I've been reminded by two separate people that I'm doing a really great thing here. I'm trying to focus on that and not get upset with trivial things. Hmmm...I feel like I've said that before.

No comments: