Friday, May 11, 2007

"Our Poop is in our backyard!"

Ok so I am slightly torn about what to say today because there is a lot going on, but I think there is one story that takes the cake. I apologize if anyone has just stumbled across my blog for the first time (I'm thinking of certain members of First Church Boonton who have maybe been meaning to get around to reading my blog and have finally found it on this unfortunate day). I promise I write about important, moving, and classy things, but I just feel that everyone needs to feel my current pain and know this: Our poop is in our backyard.

Yes, it seems something has gone haywire with our sewer system, causing all of our personal business to back up into the backyard (see Linda and Erin's blogs for pictures). We have been assured this morning that the situation is being worked on, but with a weekend coming up and the slow pace of the South, we're a little worried that there will be some "baking" over the weekend if things don't get handled in a timely manner. Yes, there has been a lot of crying through the laughter and laughing through the tears. Please pray for this situation.

While this may seem to have nothing to do with disaster relief, it gives you an idea of the shoddy construction done after the storm. Our house very much falls into the category of "better than nothing" even though it was built without a dryer vent, poor siding, with the hot and cold water reversed, and clearly with a faulty sewer system. I'm thankful I'm not dealing with small children as many families still living in faulty trailers are.

One more bit of crazy Southern news before I get to something serious. Our local Gulfport Wal-Mart has officially been named the busiest one in the country. They think it's due to everyone essentially replacing the contents of their homes, but I don't know. I think they would be remiss in not crediting the beautiful ambiance of the interior or the sparkling personality of their staff with such an honor.

Ok so really...Yesterday was the last regular day of Andy's Club before we start field trips. I was glad that all the kids came since we've low in numbers recently. I was not as emotional as I thought I would be, probably because I still found myself yelling things like "This is your first warning", "That is not acceptable" "Zach, get out of the girls' bathroom" and my favorite, "Get in there and be quiet". Yes, I was all warm and fuzzies. I do truly love all my kids, though. I tried to write a letter to the parents thanking them for entrusting their children to me. I hope they get it.

Also, there's been a lot of bureaucratic things going on at the Presbytery level. I won't go into details, but a lot of jobs and job descriptions have been changed. I am now in charge of all drywalling. That was a joke to see if you're still paying attention. No, my job is still the same, because, frankly, in the big meeting we had, no one even acknowledged my job. The Presbytery is all consumed with the weekly volunteers and their experience here. I realize I work for God and not for the bigwigs of the Presbytery of Mississippi, but it would be nice to hear even something like this:

"Hey sweetheart, what's your name?"
"Brenna."
"Ok, Brenda honey, you work with the kids right?"
"Yes, sir."
"Well, great job. That must be tough. We appreciate you and the fact that you represent us to so many people."
"Thank you, sir."

I won't hold my breath.

No comments: